Monday, November 16, 2015

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting

I've been in search of a delicious, unusual, fantastical, four-star original cupcake recipe. And in the chocolate category...I think we may have found a winner. 

Now there is nothing wrong with a plain chocolate cupcake with either chocolate or vanilla frosting. It's an oldie but a goodie for a reason. 

I was looking for something to spice that up a little. Take the "ordinary" to the "extraordinary". 

During the Christmas holidays I make a Mexican Hot Chocolate cookie. Chocolate with a hint of black pepper, chili powder and cinnamon. So I thought "Why not a cupcake?"

And since I've promised to share the "winners" with people here's the "recipe" as it were.

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 box Chocolate Fudge cake mix
1 1/3 cup coffee*
1/2 cup vegetable oil*
3 eggs*
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves

(* Denotes measurements instructed on the box. Follow your cake mix recipe but substitute coffee for any water)

1) Combine cake mix and all spices - blend thoroughly
2) Add coffee and oil
3) Add eggs, one at a time - mixing well in between
4) Fill cupcake papers 2/3 of the way full (I use an ice cream scoop so they come out equal)
5) Bake 20 minutes - or until toothpick comes out clean

While cupcakes are baking beat 2 teaspoons of cinnamon into white vanilla frosting (yes, I used store-bought). 

Once cupcakes have cooled completely - frost with cinnamon icing and decorate as you please (I used a light dusting of cinnamon on top). 

*     *     *


So far all of my "taste-testers" (aka family) love them and agree these are the winning Chocolate cupcakes!


No comments:

Post a Comment