Sunday, October 25, 2015

Grandma Angie's Crumb Cake

My Grandma Angie
With the holidays quickly approaching (not that I'm necessarily "ready" for them) it makes me start thinking of family and loved ones who are gone. I've been blessed to have a very close family and many things, such as the love of cooking, have been passed down for generations. 

A few years ago my aunt started emailing me some of my Grandma Angie's recipes. So today I thought I'd share one with you.

Grandma Angie's Crumb Cake*


*Note to any reader who tries this recipe. My grandmother didn't use recipes. She did everything from memory and knew what to add by heart. My family has tried years to recreate many of her recipes and after multiple tries have figured out the best measurement equivalents (i.e. How much does a "handful" of flour really measure out to?)


Mix the following ingredients
2 C flour
1 C sugar
1/2 C oil
2 tsp baking powder
1 C sour cream (my aunt said once she replaced this with strawberry yogurt and it was equally as good)
2 eggs
Dash of salt
sliced apples

Grease a baking pan - batter will be thick so you may need to spread to edges with a spatula.

Ingredients for topping:
1 1/2 C flour
1/2 C sugar
dash of salt
lots of cinnamon (I warned you about the measurements not being exact)
1 stick of butter, softened to room temperature

Grab a fist full and squeeze.
Break off large chunks and place all over top of cake.

Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
Once cooled sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.



I hope it works for you and I hope you love it.
Thanks Grandma Angie.

No comments:

Post a Comment